Disclaimer: QuickReply is a WhatsApp communication platform for DTC brands. These brands use WhatsApp aggressively to acquire and expand revenue from their customers.
Like every SaaS company, we at QuickReply too compile ROI reports for our customers for monthly business reviews. These reports are snapshots of ROI driven by WhatsApp campaigns. Customers use them to make informed decisions around their strategy and budget allocations.
In the process of compiling these reports, we stumbled upon the following results for Dryza, an upscale fashion boutique specializing in women’s ethnicwear.
A marketing ritual at QuickReply is to continuously hunt for such high-impact stories and deconstruct the process that went behind these astounding numbers.
In the same spirit, today, we are going to dissect how Dryza runs its WhatsApp playbook to drive an insane 1140X ROI 🤯
First, a look at Dryza’s business attributes
Dryza is an upscale women’s ethnic wear studio. Their typical AOV is INR 25,000 - INR 35,000, which is significantly high in the apparel category.
This offering has been a result of branding investments. Dryza has tied up with celebrities like Alia Bhatt, Jahnvi Kapoor, and Karishma Kapoor, who are not just their customers but enthusiastic evangelists too.
This high-AOV business is characterized by lots of abandoned carts. Naturally, folks visiting their website would mull and think it over before swiping their cards for purchase in the INR 25,000 - 35,000 range.
This is where WhatsApp was key to Dryza recovering lost sales.
💡 Why did Dryza go for WhatsApp vs other channels?
There were many reasons rooted in numbers and evidence for Dryza to use WhatsApp.
Reason #1 - High open rates:
98% open rates vs 35% of emails. More eyeballs = more sales.
Reason #2 - Target a person, not a pixel:
Traditionally, retargeting visitors who abandon carts is the most dominant method to increase conversions. However, WhatsApp allowed Dryza to target a phone number instead of an unidentified pixel.
Reason #3 - Rich media friendly:
Couple high open rates with messages that contain stickers, emojis, audio, video, and images. Not just more eyeballs but eyeballs that stick.
Reason #4 - 1:1 conversations:
Most retargeting fails because folks do not find a human to address their questions even if they land back on the page. WhatsApp is a conversational medium first, and an ad medium second. The chatbox gets users going with their questions, meaning timely resolution and fast conversions.
Dryza’s process: 4 spaced-out abandoned cart campaigns
💡 Typically we see customers push discounts in their abandoned cart campaigns as a last-mile nudge to get visitors over the line. Dryza, however, does not take that approach. None of their campaigns have any kind of discount coupons.
Maybe there is a lesson in all this for high-AOV but lesser-known brands.
Anatomy of Dryza’s campaigns
All of Dryza’s abandoned cart campaigns have the following signature styles
- Copy that validates buyer’s choice: All copies validate a visitor’s choice. Phrases like “your impeccable taste has not gone unnoticed”, “we noticed your exquisite selections”, and “for individuals who appreciate the finer things in life”.
- Full body shots of models wearing the outfit: The lazy way could have been to just attach the pack shot of the apparel. Instead, Dryza embeds full-body shots with models wearing the apparel as the main creative along with the copy. Full-body shots convert significantly higher than just pack shots.
- Invokes celebrity associations: In the middle of the drip sequence, Dryza invokes their celebrity associations to elevate brand stature. This strategy assures buyers that they are in esteemed company.
- An option to unsubscribe: Like emails, WhatsApp marketing messages now come with an option to add an UNSUB action inside messages. This keeps lists clean by washing away folks who do not want communication and increasing engagement with the rest.
Abandoned Cart campaign #1 - sent after 15 minutes
The first campaign is a simple reminder that the apparel may “vanish from their carts” if they don’t take action soon.
Because of WhatsApp’s high open rates and the ability to chat, Dryza grabbed 34 replies, 25 link clicks and 18 orders. The total base was 254 folks. That’s a staggering 102,527% ROI 🤯
Abandoned Cart campaign #2 - sent after 4 hours
There are some changes in the 2nd campaign of the series.
- Celebrity associations: Invokes names of celebs like Alia Bhatt Jahnvi Kapoor and Karishma Kapoor
- Descriptive product info: Descriptive text — Hand block printed Anarkali — to invoke visual imagery in the buyer’ psyche
For some reason the Dryza team paused this campaign after just 39 message deliveries. However, in this limited set, they managed to drive 4 replies, 4 clicks, and 2 orders.
Abandoned Cart campaign #3 - sent after 16 hours
Sent to a total base of 118 visitors. Generated 10 clicks, 6 replies, and 1 order.
Abandoned cart campaign #4 - sent after 24 hours
Sent on a base of 181 visitors. Generates 10 clicks, 11 replies and 9 orders.
💡 What more could Dryza do?
To say that Dryza is making a killing out of WhatsApp is an understatement, to say the least.
However, we feel that this performance can be taken several miles ahead if Dryza did the following
- Add UGC to their mix: WhatsApp allows marketers to plug audio and video in abandoned cart campaigns. Daryza has a ton of reviews that they are keeping out of their WhatsApp campaigns for now. We believe that if they add reviews to their creative mix, there is room for an additional 40-50% growth in conversions.
- Explicitly implore visitors to ask questions: Even without nudging visitors to ask questions, Dryza is getting replies to these campaigns. We believe that if they added additional text imploring visitors to “ask them anything”, it would lead to more conversations.
- BTS videos of production: Such exquisite apparel has an intense production flow. Dryza should compile a mix of BTS videos and add them to the sequence.
- Show celebrities wearing their outfits: Right now they just mention celeb names. They can take this a notch further and push images of these celebs wearing Dryza and test the impact on conversion rates.
WhatsApp is the secret growth machinery nobody will tell you about. Who wants to out their secret sauce?
There’s good news, though - QuickReply will set up your WhatsApp machine from scratch. Our customers send 1M+ WhatsApp messages daily, so we know a thing or two.
Just set up a demo with us, and we will handhold you for the rest.